Hi there. Here’s a few facts about me that I often get asked. If you’ve got a question I’ve not answered here or in my FAQ, then please leave me a note on my Facebook page.
Where were you born?
Did you grow up there?
No. I also lived in Kenya from the age of 5 – 11.
Have you got brothers and sisters?
Five brothers. No sisters.
Where do you live now?
In Bath, South West England.
Who do you live with?
Husband Steve & Cats: Dixie, Georgia and Otis.
How did you get started writing?
In 1987, I did a series of humour books with cartoonist Gray Jolliffe and that gave me the writing bug.
What did you do before you were a writer?
Loads of things. In order since I left school:
- Went to art college.
- Rock and roll singer with Driving Rock and the Rockettes
- Worked in cool hippie dippie shop in Manchester called On the Eighth Day.
- Worked in a mental hospital as an occupational therapist.
- Back to college to do a degree in comparative religion and train to teach (though my dad used to say to me that I have a degree in the attic and when am I going to get a proper job???).
- Taught meditation.
- Trained and worked as an aromatherapist.
- Wrote non fiction books about relationships.
- Wrote books about aromatherapy.
- Decided I wanted to be a full time writer. Did loads of writing courses.
- Read scripts for the BBC comedy department.
- Reviewed newspapers for Sky News on Friday mornings.
- I got commissioned to write teenage books and children’s books which I did from 2000 until 2014 I wrote my first novel for the adult market in 2015. It’s called The Kicking the Bucket List and is to be published in March 2017.
Where do you write?
All over the house, I take my laptop with me and sometimes in my office. I’m often joined by my cat, Otis. I can’t leave him alone as he likes to walk on the computer and I’ve come back to my desk after a break to find whole pages wiped out and replaced by gobbledy gook and a grinning Otis sitting there going, ‘OK, I deleted that rubbish you were writing and did my own version. So what do you think of the masterpiece?’
What’s your favourite TV program?
Keeps changing. I like to get American DVD sets and watch a whole series in a week.
Who makes you laugh?
Eddie Izzard. My cats.
What’s your favourite colour?
Do you have an agent?
Yes. Christopher Little at The Christopher Little Literary Agency.
What is the most important lesson that being a writer has taught you?
Never give up.
What are you working on now? I’ve just finished a book called The Kicking The Bucket List for Harper Fiction. It will be published in March 2017 and I am currently working on a second book for them.
Where can I get the books?
You can get them from your local bookshop. If they haven’t got them in stock, if you ask, they will order a copy for you. They are happy to do this as it only takes a phone call. It usually takes between 3-5 days for the books to arrive and doesn’t cost you anything. You can get the books on the Internet from www.amazon.co.uk